"Latinitas Sinica" (Centre for Latin Language and Culture in China) is the name of a study centre established at the prestigious Beijing Foreign Studies University, the Chinese university specialized in foreign languages and cultures and officially opened on June 15th, 2012...
In the last years some very significant Master and Doctoral Dissertations discussed at the Sinology Center were based on original material – often unpublished manuscripts – written in Latin.
Michele Ruggieri, Matteo Ricci, Philippe Couplet and innumerable other early sinologists wrote about China in Latin.
As the Sinology centre aims at a thorough knowledge of Western studies about China, it cannot neglect the vast amount of historical material produced in Latin.
For this it was necessary to have students and scholars specialized in, or at least familiar with, this language...
Latinitas Sinica is a specialized institution dedicated to the study and promotion of Latin Language in China by:
- Supporting the learning and teaching of Latin Language in China;
- Promoting research in China in the field of Latin Language and Culture;
- Researching the area of Latin Sinology;
- Researching the area of Early Latin to Chinese Translations;
- Offering to Chinese society various services related to Latin Language and Culture, being a reference for institutions around the world interested in Latin Language in China;
- Publishing every year an issue of a "Journal of Latin Studies in China".